The Iowa State University Foundation is a private nonprofit organization dedicated to securing and stewarding private gifts and grants that benefit Iowa State University. The foundation provides fundraising and stewardship services for the university and manages its endowment, administering about 5,000 gift accounts.
In fiscal year 2013-14, the ISU Foundation received more than $119 million in gifts and commitments from more than 36,500 individuals, corporations and foundations. This year, Iowa State’s endowment surpassed the $600 million level, reaching $614 million as of June 30, 2014.
The foundation is governed by a board of directors with up to 18 members, including the university president. It is also served by 152 active governors who provide additional fiduciary oversight and advocate for Iowa State philanthropy across the country. The ISU Foundation staff is headquartered off campus at 2505 University Boulevard, just south of Highway 30.
The first philanthropic gift to Iowa State was made in 1899 by alumnus and former professor Edgar Stanton, who donated the original ten bells of the Campanile. Ever since, the generosity of alumni and friends – in partnership with the ISU Foundation – has played an important role in the success of Iowa State.