Charles E. Friley 1936-1953
James H. Hilton 1953-1965
Louis Armstrong was the entertainer for homecoming.
WOI-TV, the first educationally owned and operated television station in the nation, went on the air Feb. 21.
Iochief hybrid sweet corn, developed at Iowa State College, was awarded a gold medal by the American Seed Trade Association.
The Iowa State College Dairy Products Squad won first place in all products, butter and cheese divisions at an international student contest in Atlantic City.
The first homecoming king was elected.
The first Greek Week was held.
Student enrollment totaled 8,000.
The livestock judging team won first place in swine judging at the International Livestock Exposition in Chicago.
Cy the Cardinal became Iowa State’s mascot.
The first couple was married in the Memorial Union chapel.
The Department of Athletics and the Alumni Association began to annually recognize a loyal graduate or contributor by awarding them the title of Cy’s Favorite Alum. Click here
for a list of Cy’s Favorite Alumni.
The Cyclones won the Big 7 basketball title, with Gary Thompson named the tournament's “most spectacular player.” Thompson was also named to the All Big 7 basketball team by the Associated Press and United Press and named Iowa State Athlete of the Year.
The baseball team won conference and district titles, and made their first collegiate World Series appearance.
Contractors began work on the addition to the Memorial Union, adding the bookstore and the Sun Room.
New bells were installed in the carillon.
Hawthorn Apartments and Pammel Court were opened to married students.
Iowa State’s centennial was celebrated.
The bookstore moved into the Memorial Union.
Home Economics Hall was named for Catherine J. MacKay and became MacKay Hall.
Street signs were installed on campus.
The first Residence Hall Week took place. Held in the spring of each year, the event celebrates living on campus with many activities and culminates in Carnival De Cyclone.
The Iowa State College Foundation was formed, with the express goal of raising funds for what would become the Iowa State Center (C.Y. Stephens Auditorium, the Scheman Center, Fisher Theater, and Hilton Coliseum).
The Hub, a vending area for students, staff and faculty, was built in a portion of the area formerly occupied by the College Book Store in the Post Office Building.
On July 4, 1959, the Iowa State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts became Iowa State University of Science and Technology.